Afterschool and Summer Options
Out-of-School-Time Programming (Before/After School and Summer)
Aspen Youth Center
Aspen Youth Center provides free after school and full-day structured programs in the summer and on teacher work days, snow days, Spring Break, and some holidays, and free play to youth in 4th-12th grades. During the school year we are open Monday through Friday from 10am to 6pm, with select extended Friday nights for "Middle School Nights." Each day we offer at least two structured programs after school (five on non-school days) and free play. For more information, contact www.aspenyouthcenter.org or 970.544.4130
Carbondale Branch Library
Makerspace: Children and teens (grades K-12) are invited to use the tools and supplies in our mobile makerspace to design, create, tinker, and play with art and technology to design and create with iPads, engineer duct tape creations, make their own stop-motion animation movies, and more. This drop-in event takes place every Wednesday from 2:00-3:30 p.m. Free lunch is served between 2:00 and 2:30 to anyone 18 and under, in partnership with Food Bank of the Rockies. For more information, call the library at 970.963.2889.
Summer Reading Program: See http://www.gcpld.org/summer-reading for more information.
Roaring Fork Cycling
Roaring Fork Outdoor Volunteers
- "Meet the Winter" Snowshoe: Elementary school students gain skills to help them become more comfortable in the winter in Colorado. Lessons focus on Leave No Trace and outdoor play/character building. RFOV has a modest "winter gear closet" to help outfit students and keep them safe.
- Trail Service Days: Students in grades 2-12 have the opportunity to give back to their local communities while participating in trail maintenance with RFOV. This is a great authentic service learning opportunity that gets students outside to learn about stewardship in an experiential way.
Access Roaring Fork's SecondShift Program
Beyond the Bell
Carbondale's long standing school aged kids program.....making kinder people one happy camper at a time. After school, summer, and holiday/school break programs are offered for students from kindergarten to age 12 at Crystal River Elementary School. Program cost: $15 for after school, $20 early release Wednesday, $55 full day, with scholarships available. For more information, visit www.camprunamuk.net
Colorado Mountain College, Reach Your Peak Summer Camps
Reach Your Peak 2018 Summer Camps at CMC for students who have completed 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th grade. Youth will explore future careers in science, technology, arts, and communications in exciting, hands-on, low-cost weeklong camps, and can save money for college! Program cost: $125 (full day) or $70 (half-day), with scholarships available for students who qualify by calling 970.947.8357. Register in Spring 2018 at www.reachyourpeakcolorado.org or http://coloradomtn.edu/academics/college_prep/reach-peak-colorado/
Glenwood Community Rec Center: Afterschool Arts & Crafts Club
- Afterschool Arts & Crafts Club for grades K-5. Get creative and have fun with a different project every day. We will provide all the supplies and guidance for you to artistically express yourself. Projects may include: tie-dye, knitting/crochet, beading, painting, duct tape projects, cooking, collage, science experiments, hula hoops and many more. Dates: Tuesday & Thursday Sept. 5-December 19 (No class Nov. 26+28). Time: 3:30-5:30 p.m. Fee: $12.00/day members receive 25% discount.
- Flag Football for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade. Are you ready for some football??? Flag Football that is!!! Join the Glenwood Springs Parks and Recreation Department for an after-school flag football program for 1st – 3rd graders. Participants will learn fundamental skills such as passing, offense, defense, stance and much more. Bring a water bottle each day and dress to get dirty! Age: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Graders. Time: 3:45pm - 4:45pm. Dates: Tuesdays & Thursdays, Sept 5th – Oct 5th (10 sessions). Fee: $50M / $60 NM. Register by: Open until filled. Location: Open space behind community center. Register online at www.glenwoodrec.com
- Intramural Volleyball for 5th and 6th grade girls. 5th and 6th Grade Girls! Come play Mondays and Wednesdays after school. There will be warm ups, drills, practices, and scrimmages. Everyone gets a T-Shirt and we’ll end the season with an in-house tournament. Depending on the number of girls signed up, we’ll break the girls into evenly matched teams for practice and scrimmage. The final tournament may consist of further breaking the teams down into teams of six and playing each other in a round robin format. Age: 5th and 6th Grade Girls Only. Time: Practices, Mondays and Wednesdays 4:30-6:00pm, Aug 21st – Oct 5th. Games Thursdays, Times and Locations TBD. Fee: $50 M / $60 NM. Register by: Open until filled. Location: Community Center Gym. Register online at www.glenwoodrec.com
High School Girls Lacrosse
Roaring Fork Outdoor Volunteers
- How to be a Wilderness Explorer!: Elementary school students learn the basics of outdoor survival and Leave No Trace theory through hands-on, interactive play using real, trail-tested outdoor gear. This is for any student who wants to learn more about getting outside and being comfortable in the out of doors - while having tons of fun!
- Wilderness Survival & Ethics: Middle school students learn the about outdoor survival and Leave No Trace theory through hands-on, interactive play using real, trail-tested outdoor gear. This is a fun, dynamic, and active class that takes the "Wilderness Explorer" courses to the next level. Open to students who participated in the elementary school courses, or are totally new to outdoor exploration!
Roaring Fork Fencers Club
Roaring Fork Fencers Club is pleased to offer before- and after-school beginner fencing classes for youth ages 6 and up. Students will be introduced to this Olympic sport in a safe and age-appropriate environment. RFFC provides equipment rental for $5 per session. Students must bring athletic pants and shoes--no jeans, shorts, or sandals. Classes will focus on having fun, making friends, and learning the basics of fencing. Fencing promotes fitness, coordination, good sporting behavior, critical thinking, and problem solving skills all while being one of the safest sports in both the summer and winter Olympic games. Sessions costs $25 each ($20 fee + $5 equip rental cost). Check website for class schedule and locations: www.RoaringForkFC.com
Yoga Time for Kids